One of the easiest and most nourishing breakfasts you can get. Simple Cinnamon Oats makes an ideal base recipe and there are so many ways to mix it up. I typically use the fruit and toppings that I have available, it could be banana, it could be berries, it might be nuts, seeds or both. Hemp seeds make a great topping, a sprinkle of granola or the addition of your favourite protein powder. Endless options.
Oats are a great breakfast option; filling, rich in energising B vitamins and fibre!
This is also a perfect breakfast to prep ahead of the week:
- Decide how many days you want oats that week.
- Prepare batches in jars by adding your oats and cinnamon.
- The night before top with milk, fruit and toppings.
Simple Cinnamon Oats – Key Nutrients
- Low GI source of carbohydrates helping to regulate blood sugar levels – thus reducing cravings and energy crashes.
- A good source of resistant starch which is beneficial for gut health by providing a fuel source to gut bacteria.
- Like oats, cinnamon helps to regulate blood sugar levels
- Don’t like cinnamon? Start small and work up.. try ¼ tsp and slowly increase with a goal of 1 tsp.
Simple Cinnamon Oats
- 1/2 cup oats (or 40g)
- 1 cup soy, almond or coconut milk (opt for unsweetened where possible)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 handful berries or fruit of your choice
- 1 sprinkle of toppings (nuts, seeds, granola etc)
- Place oats, milk and cinnamon into a jar/bowl.
- Add fruit or add fresh in the morning.
- Stir thoroughly and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Add any extra toppings - nuts, seeds, granola.
TipsI use a standard cup measure. If you don’t have one you can use a mug and substitute the amount for ¾ of a standard size mug.
Find your IngredientsOats - Breakfast cereals aisle (look for rolled oats). Milk - I love Nutty Bruce Almond Milk (in the fridge) or Vitasoy Unsweetened Coconut Milk (in the long life milk aisle).
If you love oats, you’ll love to try these;
Amy Savage is a qualified Nutritionist with a Bachelor of Health Science in Nutritional & Dietetic Medicine and is available for consultations online and in Sydney CBD. Email email@example.com for further details.